Simply Natural Whole Wheat Belgian Waffles
These make delicious fluffy waffles that are also nutritious. Try serving with sliced strawberries and fresh powdered sugar. Alternatively, maple syrup or jam is always good.
These can be prepared using a food mixer or by hand. It is always best to measure all ingredients prior to starting.
3 ¼ cups of warm milk (body temperature)
2 ½ teaspoon of active dry yeast
¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) butter melted and cooled to lukewarm
½ cup of unrefined sugar
3 eggs, yokes and whites separated
2 ¼ teaspoons vanilla
1 ½ teaspoon sea salt
4 cups of whole white wheat or durum whole wheat flour (fresh milled can also be used)
1) Turn waffle iron on.
2) Add warm milk and yeast in a large bowl and whisk until mixed. Let sit 5 minutes.
3) Add to the large bowl: butter, sugar, egg yolks, vanilla and salt. Whisk until mixed. Add flour one cup at a time, pausing after each cup to scrape the sides of the bowl using a rubber spatula.
4) Cover the bowl with a wet towel and allow the mixture to sit until doubled (1- 1 ½ hours) in room temperature.
5) Beat egg whites until soft peaks are formed. By hand, this will generally take several minutes, by mixer, a couple minutes.
6) Gently fold the egg whites into the batter using the rubber spatula or a wooden spoon. The idea is to not mix the egg in, but to fold it in.
7) Pour the mixture into the waffle iron using iron’s cooking instructions.